My daughter is a very picky eater. She refuses a food if she doesn’t like the way it looks or smells. Her eating habits drive me CRAZY. I’m always turning to get her to try new foods because I swear she thinks she can survive on nuggets, fries, and varies kinds of fruits. Okay, I can’t complain completely because she is opening up to vegetables and trying new foods. I can’t take any correct for this though because once again, Daniel Tiger, saves the day. My daughter and I sing Daniel Tiger’s song about trying new foods.
Mac & Cheese used to be on her favorite food list, but one day she decided she disliked it. I’m pretty sure the new “dislike” for Mac & Cheese started when I refused to buy boxed Mac & Cheese such as Kraft and Velveeta. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE Velveeta Mac & Cheese, but I’m pretty much sick of it at this point. Kraft Mac & Cheese just tastes off to me. I guess a part of me never gets over the powdered cheese. I have talked about making homemade Mac & Cheese for months now. Tonight, I took a risk and made it. I even used wheel shape pasta to add a fun touch like Kraft does for their Mac & Cheese. I don’t know if it helped, but I like to believe so.
My daughter approved and I believe your kid(s) will enjoy this recipe as well!
- One box of wheel (or whatever you prefer) shaped pasta
- 4 cups of milk
- 4 tablespoons of salted butter
- 1/2 cups of flour
- 2 cups of shredded sharp cheese
- 1 cup of mozzarella cheese
- Put water into a large pot. Add a little salt. Get the water to boiling part then add pasta to the water. Cook the pasta for about 15 minutes. Drain the water out then put it aside for later.
- In a large stock pan, melt the stick of butter on medium. When the butter is melted, add in flour and start to whisk until the mixture is light brown Should take about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat then add the milk to the pan and whisk for 2 minutes before placing back on the stove. Continue to whisk until mixture is thick. Add salt and pepper for taste. Stir in the cheddar and mozzarella cheese. Mix until the cheese is melted and sauce is smooth.
- Grab a large bowl. Combine pasta and cheese sauce. Stir until all of the pasta is cheesy.
- Serve immediately.
Enjoy, I hope your little one(s) enjoys the Mac & Cheese!
Remember, sharing is caring!
***Note: you can also heat up the milk if you prefer to in a saucepan.***
Check out my page, Kimi Ann-Marie for various of posts about life, mom life, and grieving. Check out my page, Positive Thinking About Parents Death for grieving advice about your mom or dad and reminding yourself you’re not alone.